Monday, December 1, 2008

Tau Puna Lofa

Tongan children continuously amaze me with their ingenuity. Of all the random items the kids here turn into toys, the black plastic tape from VHS tapes has to be the most creative. The VHS tape provides a multitude of options for the children’s creativity in play – from ninja costumes to kite flying.

The VHS tape is often used as a kite tail. The rest of the kite is typically constructed of old notebook paper, medical tape, sticks, thread and an old can for the spool.

When I first saw the ramshackle kites I didn’t think that they would ever actually fly. The kites really do fly though, so unbelievably high in the sky it sometimes takes me a few minutes to find the tiny speck so far in the distance. One of the many random parts of my day that makes me smile.








No comments: