Sunday, November 9, 2008

Obama-Rama!

The day Barack Obama was elected the 44th President of the United States of America was one of the best days of my life. I, along with approximately 50 other Americans, watched CNN election coverage unfold via Satellite television at Mango Bar & Restaurant in Neiafu, Vava’u. I cannot think of another time in my life where I felt such relief, happiness, and camaraderie all at once.



There were collectively over 30 Peace Corps Volunteers and trainees, representing nearly half of the 50 states. Many of us jumped into Neiafu harbor at the conclusion of Obama’s acceptance speech in celebration, followed by a soaking wet impromptu dance party.


Over the past few months I have followed the election coverage as best as possible from a remote island in the south pacific. Words cannot describe how thrilled I am to have a President that I, along with much of the world, believe in. I had lost faith in our democracy but that faith has been restored. I am now even more excited about returning to the states next month and am proud to be an American for the first time in a very, very long time.

No comments: